Date:      Tue, 28 Jul 1998 09:42:19 -0400
From:      Matthew Hunt <mph@pobox.com>
To:        Alexandr Lopatin <kino@basta.fis.nsk.su>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Length password

On Tue, Jul 28, 1998 at 02:53:10PM +0700, Alexandr Lopatin wrote:

> What is actual password field length ?
> I hoped length was 16 symbols, but actually it is 8.
> Is it so ?

You are correct, the length for DES passwords is 8 characters.
Since DES is used on many flavors of Unix, and we want to be
compatible, it has to be that traditional length.

If you use MD5 passwords, they can be much longer.  I forget
the exact length, but it is much more than 16.

--
Matthew Hunt <mph@pobox.com> * Inertia is a property of matter.
http://www.pobox.com/~mph/pgp.key for PGP public key 0x67203349.