Date:      Mon, 18 May 1998 14:52:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Peter van Heusden <pvh@leftside.wcape.school.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Suggested configuration of WWW server

On Sat, 16 May 1998, Peter van Heusden wrote:

> I am planning to set up a FreeBSD machine to host a number of WWW servers.
> The config will have to support about 10 different WWW sites (using
> Apache), and though at present the incoming bandwidth is small (about 1/2
> Mbit/second) this might well change in the future.

512Kb/sec?

> Specifically, I was wondering about the following questions:
>
> 1) What is the recommended SCSI controller? The machine will probably have
> 2 or 3 SCSI disks, and I want to select a controller that works well with
> FreeBSD.

The Adaptec 2940 series (NOT the A) OR Symbios-based cards (like the
Diamond FirePort 40) work great.

> 2) Does it make sense to buy a multi-processor machine? How well does
> FreeBSD's SMP support work?

SMP is pretty good but is not recommended for production use, at least not
yet.

> 3) Are there any specific suggestions for network cards? I want to buy a
> 100Mbit ethernet card (in case I need to link together this server with
> others in a server farm at a later date), so any recommendations will be
> appreciated.

Intel EtherExpress PRO/100B.  Nuff said.

> 4) Which version of BSD should I use? I'm planning on using 2.2.6, but are
> there any particular reasons I should consider using 3.0?

Use 2.2.6-RELEASE unless there is something in -CURRENT you need and can
put up with possible system instability.