Date:      Fri, 29 May 1998 23:37:47 +0900
From:      Jun-ichiro itojun Itoh <itojun@itojun.org>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipv6 network addresses

>> 	There's something called "site local address" defined in rfc1884.
>> 	However, scoped address has so many twists.  You must be very careful
>> 	configuring nameservers for site local addresses.  Also, there's is
>> 	very hard problem for site border routers...
>> 	I believe people would like to get rid of NAT when v6 is deployed,
>> 	so there will be no private address, I believe...
>I don't agree.  The use of NAT is partially to protect against attacks
>- if you're not routed, an attack is that much harder.

	even without address translation, you can have "non-routed" network
	space.
	If you use NAT, you are actually "routing" external packet
	to your host.  In this case the security level degrades very much.

	Lengthy discussion was done in IETF IPng working group, so I would
	not repeat that here.  I highly recommend the following message.
	(I do not copy the message here since this was not by me...)

	http://www.cs-ipv6.lancs.ac.uk/ipv6/mail-archive/IPng/1998-05/0057.html

itojun