Date:      Mon, 10 Aug 1998 19:54:34 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Drew Derbyshire <software@kew.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: zp0 not receiving under 2.2.7?

> Hmmm .... (read entire message before responding!)

Wilco.  I was waiting for your reply, because this morning I left the
dongle for my NE2000 at home, so I was forced to use my backup '589.
It sucked; I had to build a new kernel, then some new userland utils
(because the userland on my laptop is horribly old and my sources are
up to date so I can tinker).

But once I had everything in sync, it all "just worked".

> Hmmm.   One more try, change the "?" to the explicit IRQ I want ... WHAMMO,
> ep0 works.  Well, *was* "?" legal?

It's not so much whether it's legal as whether it works.  I don't like
? because the smarts behind the auto-IRQ allocation aren't good.  We
don't do enough PnP by far for it to be reliable.

eg. I use:

# 3com 3c589D
card "3Com Corporation" "3C589D"
        config 0x1 "ep0" 9
        insert /etc/pccard_ether ep0 -link0
        remove /sbin/ifconfig ep0 delete

and that "just works" (both on the card I had partially stolen giving
me BNC, and on this card giving me UTP).