Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 1996 12:34:48 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        usfmcdgd@ibmmail.com (Kamil Lusnak                  CZECHREP)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, sathalye@adept.qualcomm.com
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD File System Read-only ???

> Please Help !
> I have IBM-PC 486/66 with HDD MAXTOR 527MB (divided to DOS 50M/BSD 450M).
> After installation of FreeBSD 2.1.5 I received msg.:"MAKEDEV returned non-zero
> status" and after restart when I tried to start a command I received this msg:
>        "... Read-only file system ..."
Your lines are unpleasantly long and blank padded up to 80 characters, btw.

mount /
or
mount -u /dev/wd0a /

makes the root FS writeable in such a case. mount -a gives you a bit more
comfort in this mode (single user).

After having done that, try to find out the reason why MAKEDEV returned
non-zero status by doing a
cd /dev
sh -x MAKEDEV