Date:      Sat, 03 Oct 1998 23:39:25 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        CyberPsychotic <fygrave@freenet.bishkek.su>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Frank Pawlak <fpawlak@execpc.com>, Open Systems Networking <opsys@mail.webspan.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Status Report on 2.2.6 Giveaway CD's

At 10:46 AM 10/4/98 +0500, CyberPsychotic wrote:

>> I was debating asking for some of the 2.2.6 giveaway CDs, but opted
>> not to do so. Why? Because that release had some security problems
>> that could actually sour some folks on FreeBSD. We were rooted as
>> a result of one of them.
>>

> Well, when I installed 2.2.6, I upgraded to 2.2.7 right away over the
>network.

That's the right thing to do! However, if you did that, you really didn't
have to install 2.2.6 first. You could have just started with the 2.2.7
floppy diskette, and it would have gone faster.

>What were those security issues anyway? I checked bugtraq, but
>didnt find much.. any other place, where I could have a look?

Bugtraq covered most of them. The freebsd-security list covered pretty
much all. CERT reported 4 as formal advisories.

--Brett