Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 2000 04:05:24 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Martin Hillier <martin.hillier@sykes.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I think I have a routing problem?

Martin Hillier wrote:

> FreeBSD
> tcpdump: listening on ed0
> 12:48:29.632586 sykes > blackhole: icmp: echo request
> 12:48:29.633087 blackhole > sykes: icmp: echo reply

> The linux box can 'see' other packets from the freebsd machine to other
> machines, does this mean the routing is screwed up to the linux box from
> freebsd?

Since the packet is sent, according to tcpdump on FreeBSD, it doesn't
look like a routing issue to me.  What do you get when you try to ping
sykes from blackhole ? If it doesn't say "No route to host", then it's
almost certainly not a routing issue.

It looks more like a problem with the Linux side to me, since it's not
seeing the reply sent from the FreeBSD box.  But then I would say that.
:-)

--
Ben Smithurst / ben@FreeBSD.org / PGP: 0x99392F7D