Date:      Mon, 2 Sep 96 10:29:01 EST
From:      M C Wong <mcw@hpato.aus.hp.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Anyway to check firewall access ?

I have a friend living overseas who relies on telnet and
other services to communicate with me in his office. Email
is NOT available for some reason. He is using a PC, and
only application he can relies on is telnet, which he uses
to login to my machine and initiate talk. No WinTalk etc
available.

Recently, his site admin configure the Cisco box to block
all outgoing telnet traffic meaning we can NO longer keep
in touch.

My question is, is there a way of finding out the permitted
outgoing ports on that Cisco box WITHOUT commiting something
that is considered illegal ? I meant can I run some program
to poke/gather info in that box to gather their ACL for
outgoing service only ? I am NOT interested in what can go
in but what can come out. The friend is NOT a computer person
and has NOT much knowledge of TCP/IP etc so I can't get him
to talk to the IT guy easily about those things.

I know port 80 is permitted but I don't really want to run
a telnetd at that port.

Any suggestion ?