Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 2000 13:00:06 -0400
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: build tools as separate distribution

Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:

> What would the good people think of moving gcc, gas, ld etc., as well
> as include files and static libraries out of the bin dist and into a
> separate distribution, called e.g. prog or devel? There are a lot of
> cases (e.g. firewalls, mail gateways) where you neither need nor want
> build tools, and PicoBSD is sometimes too radical. This would provide
> a sort of middle path between the too-minimalist PicoBSD and the
> not-minimalist-enough bin dist we have today.

Funny you mention this. I have been in contact with the project manager
of the OpenWatcom project and he told me that watcom is being ported to
FreeBSD. For those who don't know what watcom is: Watcom is a compiler
for ia32 that compiles code for dos, dos4gw, different flavors of
Windows, OS/2 and Novell (I probably forget some). An alpha port was
almost finished when the product was discontinued. The product will be
open source in a couple of months and ports for FreeBSD (I said this
already) and probably Linux will be made.

In short: I see interesting possibilities and having the compilers be a
seperate distribution can make certain possibilities more attractive.

Am I vague enough? :-)

see also http://www.openwatcom.org/

--
Marcel Moolenaar