Date:      Sat, 01 Dec 2001 17:31:37 +0000
From:      Colin Percival <colin.percival@wadham.ox.ac.uk>
To:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: philosophical question...

At 17:22 01/12/2001 +0100, Extended Laurent Fabre wrote:
>Seems like an OpenBSD feature :P
>
>But from a security point of view, if an attacker can guess
>the random seed, i can't see the protection offered...
>It will just raise the number of brute force attacks...

   I think that a certain amount of protection is given by the fact that an
exploit which fails as a result of malloc being nondeterministic would have
a good chance of crashing the daemon being attacked.  Brute force attacks
are hard when each faliure has a chance of making further attempts
impossible. ;)
   Another interesting consideration is that making malloc nondeterministic
could make other bugs visible.

   Still, I have to agree that this sounds pretty OpenBSDish... looking at
the BSDs as a whole I'd say it would make sense for this to be added into
OpenBSD first and ported to FreeBSD once it has proved itself.

Colin Percival