Date:      Fri, 18 Feb 2000 11:59:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ab.ca>
Cc:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, committers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Crypto progress! (And a Biiiig TODO list)

Another technique that could be used, and gets discussed occasionally on
-security, is passing authentication information via ancillary data
transfer on UNIX domain sockets.  You could limit the effectiveness of DOS
attacks by rate limiting per-uid, for example.

It should be noted that both the old and new schemes are subject to
denial of service--the old due to locking, and the new due to socket/IPC
limits, among other things.  I would argue, however, that the new
mechanism reduces risk as it would allow us to remove the setuid bit from
a number of binaries, instead relying on a single auditable code base in
the password file manager.

If we plan to move to more daemons using IPC to communicate in this style,
we might want to think about consistency guidelines for doing this.  For
example, mandating an LPC structure of some sort, or managing parallelism
on a single pipe, etc.  Also, documenting techniques that tend to reduce
the risk of denial of service for daemons offering IPC services.

Robert

On Fri, 18 Feb 2000, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:

>     Mark> o A username may only be checked $number times per
>     Mark> $timeperiod; after that, _all_ answers are silently
>     Mark> converted to "no".
>
> Umm, massive DOS hole.
>
>     Mark> o Daemon may only be invoked $number times per $timeperiod;
>     Mark> refuses to fork after that.
>
> Another massive DOS hole.
>
>     Mark> o Daemon will delay $timeperiod before returning answer.
>
> This is the correct way to deal with (perceived) attacks.
>
>     Mark> ... etc. There are possibilities for DoS attacks, but the
>     Mark> daemon talks only to a Unix Domain Socket, so finding the
>     Mark> perp is easy.
>
> Not if the daemon has shut itself off due to load (#1 or #2 above) and you
> aren't currently logged in to the box.
>
> --lyndon

  Robert N M Watson