Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 2000 13:15:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Harold Paulson <haroldp@internal.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   login.conf

Hello,

I recently had a FreeBSD box completely locked up when a typo in a web
script ran the machine completely out of RAM/swap.  It looks like
login.conf is exactly what I need to set limits on various processes, but
there are quite a few details that aren't sufficiently explained by the
man pages.  I haven't found any good answers to this in the archives, or
on the web (or by cornering people at the Con).  The upshot is that it
looks like most of the FreeBSD servers on the net can be locked - at least
locally - with one line of Perl/shell/PHP/etc script.  Not really a good
situation.

If there is an expert out there that would be willing to answer some
questions about login.conf, I'd be willing to test and write some
documentation.  I have questions like: what is 'stacksize' exactly, and
how should the limit I set relate to RAM/swap? If I have X amount of RAM
and I want to allow my important daemons to use almost, but not quite all
of that, to what should I set the various properties?  How can I make sure
I always have enough resources left over to allow me to ssh in and fix
stuff?  How can I limit daemons like sendmail that must run as root?

Please let me know if you can help.

	- H