Date:      Sat, 15 Aug 1998 20:30:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bsd.port.mk updates (was: Re: ports/7617:)

On Sat, 15 Aug 1998, Tim Vanderhoek wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Aug 1998, Bill Fumerola wrote:
> > (3) /handbook/porting.html doesn't mention that.
>
> Are you sure?  You must not be using the latest and greatest
> version from ~10 minutes in the future.  :-)

1.107 Sun Aug 9 22:20:29 1998 UTC by wosch

Evidently not. :>

> If you're volunteering to write a page (even a text, non-html
> page) that lists the latest changes to bsd.port.mk, _AND_ to keep
> that page up-to-date, I'll happily find a place for it.

I'd volunteer to work on that and/or a NICE AND COMPLETE explanation of
all the (many, poorly documented) Makefile options for ports, given that
they were cvsup'able so multiple people could work on it. I'd be willing
to head up or at least start something like that.

Speaking from the point of a relativly new
porter/submitter/contributor/whatever the documentation is foggy sometimes
at best and sometimes wrong at worse. It would make ALL our lives easier
if these sort of docs existed. For example, count how many ports with
NO_CONFIGURE or NO_PATCH we get in the next 6 months...

thoughts? anyone?

- bill fumerola [root/billf]@chc-chimes.com - computer horizons corp -
-  ph:(800)252.2421 x128 / bfumerol@computerhorizons.com - BF1560  -

	"Logic, like whiskey, loses its beneficial effect
	when taken in too large quantities" -Lord Dunsany