Date:      Fri, 1 Feb 2002 00:46:58 -0800
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>, Storms of Perfection <gary@outloud.org>, thierry@herbelot.com, replicator@ngs.ru, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Clock Granularity (kernel option HZ)

On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 12:28:35AM -0800, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> > > throughput vs. overhead if you process packets to completion
> > > at interrupt, and process writes to completion at write time
> > > from the process.
> >
> > this does not match my numbers. e.g. using "fastforwarding"
> > (which bypasses netisrs's) improves peak throughput
> > by a factor between 1.2 and 2 on our test boxes.
>
> Forwarding packets is a lot less complicated than doing tcp
> recieve and send.  I haven't seen Terry's stuff in action,
> however it makes sense that tcp would see more of an improvement
> than simple IP forwarding.

but exactly because of this reason, the overhead of netisr should
be less and less relevant as the processing increases.

Unless of course you end up in livelock, in which case performance
drops to 0 without processing-to-completion, and then the performance
improvement is arbitrarily high (see the table in
http://info.iet.unipi.it~luigi/polling/ ).

	cheers
	luigi