Date:      Tue, 7 Nov 2000 06:57:11 -0500
From:      "Otter" <otterr@telocity.com>
To:        "Roman Shterenzon" <roman@harmonic.co.il>, "Makoto MATSUSHITA" <matusita@jp.FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: We cannot use 'make -j' option to build the world, period.

Regarding the -j option, I seem to remember someone telling me that
option was only for make buildworld/installworld and not the modules
or anything else. Anyone care to confirm and/or explain why? I see the
following in the man page:
The options are as follows:
<snip>
     -B      Try to be backwards compatible by executing a single
shell per
             command and by executing the commands to make the sources
of a
             dependency line in sequence.  This is turned on by
default unless
             -j is used.

	-j max_jobs
             Specify the maximum number of jobs that make may have
running at
             any one time.  Turns compatibility mode off, unless the B
flag is
             also specified.

-Otter