Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 2000 13:05:38 +0200
From:      Siegbert Baude <siegbert.baude@gmx.de>
To:        Warren Mailman <warrenmailman@kscable.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Duke Normandin <dnormandin@freewwweb.com>, DAve <dave@pixelhammer.com>
Subject:   Re: Is it possible to install FreeBSD 4.1 to a FAT32 partition?

Hello Warren,

> I don't mean to bother you, but I've got another question...I've got plenty
> of space on my HD, and only one drive (Win) on it.  If I can break that up
> and give BSD the excess space, will that be good enough?

On http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install.html you will find every
information you need.

Just some comments:

As said FreeBSD needs a primary partition. If you like modern desktops
like gnome and kde, maybe some office suites, I would recommend at least
4 GB. One of the best things in FreeBSD is the perfect update ability
via cvsup your source and compiling your whole system from scratch with
only some simple commands. This method is called "tracking the stable
tree", as opposed to "installing a release only one time". (A release,
e.g. the latest one called 4.1, is nothing else than a snapshot of the
stable tree of a special date. Simply a good point to start tracking
stable. :-) ) But the source and corresponding compiled object files
will need alone more than half a GB. The FreeBSD manner of installing
new programs via the ports tree (which also is updated via cvsup) again
adds pretty big need for space (but you will learn to love this thing,
believe me :-) ). So if you have...

If you decide to track stable, you should also subscribe to the
appropriate mailing list. You can learn a lot by also reading the
questions mailing list, but be aware of hundreds of mails per day!
Look at http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/eresources.html#ERESOURCES-MAIL
for further details.

There is only one point to think about. Up to 4.0 FreeBSD wasn't able to
boot from partitions beyond cylinder #1023 of your harddisk (on modern
hard disks this is equivalent to the first 8GB of your disk). If you
want to install 4.1 this limitation has gone. If you have a pre4.1
version, note, that it's pretty acceptable to have windows in the first
primary partition, FreeBSD in the second (within the 8GB range) and
further windows partitions (then called logical partitions) in a
container called extended partition (which then as a total including all
logical partitions is your third primary partition). You can even use
this windows space from within FreeBSD (I would recommend this for pure
data only, not for system files, because of the limitations of the
windows file system with regard to the UNIX permission system;
personally I use this for pictures and MP3s e.g.).
It's also possible to create a FreeBSD file system within a logical disk
in your extended partition, but the FreeBSD tool to easily create
partitions (found in /stand/sysinstall ) won't support this, so you have
to do this by hand, which isn't trivial. If you ever run into space
problems, it's easier to use Partition Magic again to reduce your
extended partition and add a fourth primary partition to contain your
second FreeBSD file system.
So to make things easy for Partition Magic or fips: Defrag your harddisk
with the appropriate windows tool. Downsize your windows partition with
PM or fips. Add a second primary partition for FreeBSD and then start
installing.

One note: In FreeBSD documentation you will often find the term "slice"
instead of "partition". In UNIX terms a partition is a subdivision of a
slice. This behaviour is unknown for MS file systems.
You can leave the task of dividing your slice into partitions to your
installation tool (which is nothing else than /stand/sysinstall called
at installation time automatically).

Happy installing and welcome onboard!

Ciao
Siegbert

P.S.: Duke and DAve, hope you will love this, too. :-) Is your database
in work?