Date:      Sat, 16 Mar 1996 19:24:20 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        peter@jhome.DIALix.COM (Peter Wemm)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Win32 (was:Re: Go SCSI! Big improvement...)

> Huh?  So, long distance voice is also "evil" because that's time charged
> too?

Yes.

> It sounds to me like you want something that behaves like a leased line
> but dont want to pay for it.  I didn't know that you had free T1 and 56K
> links in the US...

Hardly.  I want something like a network connection with no one's nose
in where my endpoint is for a particular packet or series of packets.

If the packets happen to conatin voice data and happen to be going to
Japan... well, them's the breaks.

> Dont forget, most PRI ISDN links are 2B+D, so you've got two independent 64K
> links.. Many ISDN cards are also dual channel, so you can call yourself from
> one channel to the other.. :-)

US West is (or was) 2D + B.  Non-standard ISDN.  So no dice.  I'd need
two lines.

> Mind you, you're in a great position over there compared to *.au..  Here,
> the phone company owns the NT1, so everything you connect to the S0 bus has
> to be "approved", including the software.  ie: developing the software
> yourself is completely out of the question here.

So change your government -- Aussie's have sufferage!  8-) 8-).

> This is partly the case here because ISDN is implemented as an "overlay"
> network, where the local exchanges do not speak ISDN at all.  The exchange
> is fitted with a B-mux (B-channel multiplexor) and all the PRI circuits
> are carried back to a more central exchange over a 2Meg link.  These B-Muxes
> are notoriously unreliable and crash at the slightest provacation, taking
> you and the other users down with it.  Result: they dont *dare* let users
> beat them up via custom software.

So buy hardware from the US.  It's not like we can install it in
our service areas for our own use.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.