Date:      Sun, 26 May 1996 13:30:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        dima@FreeBSD.org (Dima Ruban)
Cc:        michaelv@HeadCandy.com, lithium@cia-g.com, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Adduser program in C

Dima Ruban wrote:

> Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com writes:
> >
> > However, I think you'd be doing yourself a real favor by learning perl
> > (and awk, sed, sh, grep, cut, etc.).  It's The Right Thing To Do.
> > It's The Unix Way: use small simple tools that are very good at a
>
> First: this is not small tool.

	correct.

> Second: this is slow tool.

	hmm... i wonder.  how about writing and timing a coupleof
	script that you have in sed | awk | sh | whatever and
	timing the same in perl, just curious ;)

> Third: this is not standard unix tool.

	in FreeBSD it is.  /usr/bin/perl.

jmb

ps. 	majordomo is perl, anyone care to rewrite it in sh | sed | awk
	or tcl or whatever?
--
Jonathan M. Bresler           FreeBSD Postmaster             jmb@FreeBSD.ORG
FreeBSD--4.4BSD Unix for PC clones, source included. http://www.freebsd.org/