Date:      Thu, 13 Mar 1997 11:09:23 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        batie@aahz.jf.intel.com (Alan Batie)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: disk docs

Alan Batie stands accused of saying:
> Do anyone know of any good disk layout docs?  Everytime I try to add a disk
> to a FreeBSD system, it is an exercise in frustration, and seems to me like
> it shouldn't be too hard to read the size of the disk and write a basic
> initial partition table and disk label that will make disklabel happy, and
> I'm willing to do it if I can find the information needed.  Currently, I've
> tried "disklabel -r -w sd0 auto", and it complains
> "write: Read-only file system".  *What* file system!?!  I *haven't* *gotten*
> that far yet!  ktrace shows it to be /dev/rsd0c that it's complaining about
> (the system disk is ide).

On a truly unlabelled disk, 'disklabel -rwB sd0 auto' works just fine;
we use it for nuking DOS-formatted Jaz disks on an almost daily basis.

In other cases, you may find that you need to 'dd' over the first 8K
or so of the disk with something like :

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rsd0 bs=8k count=1

Alternatively, use /stand/sysinstall in 'custom' mode.