Date:      Wed, 02 Jul 1997 21:30:28 -0400
From:      Sylvain St-Laurent <sstlaure@cgocable.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Question about TCP/IP stack implementation.

Hi,

    I have a 2048 kbits satellite link with a RTT (Round-Trip Time) =
350ms. Usually, the "bandwidth*delay product" give the TCP window size
to optimize the link (RFC-1323). Thus, my window size should be approx.
92 KBytes.

    Do I need to change the window size in FreeBSD 2.1.7.1 ? *** [1] ***

    If so, how can I set the new window size (and TCP Window Scale
Option) in the source code ?

*** [1] *** - It's strange, I set the window size to 4096 bytes in the
"tcp.h" file, I download with FTP on SGI-IRIX 6.2 server and the window
size work, my transfert rate was small (~5.5KB). But, when I download
(FTP) with the same window size on FreeBSD 2.1.7.1 server, the window
size is ignored. WHY ?     What's the difference, in the TCP/IP stack,
between IRIX and FreeBSD ?

Thanks

Sylvain St-Laurent
R&D Director