Date:      Wed, 2 Jun 2010 12:06:54 +0200
From:      "C. P. Ghost" <cpghost@cordula.ws>
To:        akash kumar <akashb503@yahoo.co.in>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: minicom freebsd 8.0

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 11:30 AM, akash kumar <akashb503@yahoo.co.in> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was referring to minicom command similar to one on linux.
> On linux the config file is /etc/minirc.<configfile> and the =A0Serial De=
vice is =A0/dev/ttyUSB0, which was working for me.
> On freebsd =A0the config file is /usr/local/etc/minicom/minirc.<configfil=
e>, but not sure what to update in the field 'pu port'.

> I tried with /dev/ugen2.2 but got below error
>> minicom: cannot open /dev/ugen2.2: Permission denied
>
> Please let me know what needs to be updated in the 'pu port' field.

Ah, okay. ugen is a generic device. I think you can't use that directly
if you have a usb-to-serial converter.

I guess you need to kldload a kernel module specific to your usb-to-serial
converter. For example something like uplcom, umodem etc. This would
create a new entry in /dev that you can use in minicom.

Permissions for those devices can be set in /etc/devfs.rules (and restartin=
devfs with /etc/rc.d/devfs restart). You may also want to look at /etc/devd=
.conf

I'm not familiar with usb-to-serial converters, so I can't help more than t=
hat.
Others may have more experience there.

> Thanks,
> Akash.