Date:      Fri, 14 Aug 1998 09:48:06 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        volf@oasis.IAEhv.nl
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: File permissions in CVS tree obtained using CTM

In article <199808112051.UAA00914@avalon.oasis.IAEhv.nl>,
Frank Volf <volf@oasis.IAEhv.nl> wrote:

> A more theoretical question would be: can we safely rely on the file
> permissions on the CVS tree, or should we take precautions (in this case
> use the Makefile to set execute permissions on the checkout files,
> before running them).

Historically, the execute bits have had a tendency to dissolve from
the repository over time. :-) You should not count on them being set
properly.  The only things in the repository that might need to be
"executed" are scripts.  There aren't any program binaries there.  The
best way to execute shell scripts is with "sh foo".  (For ports only,
there is a make macro ${SH} defined.)  For perl, awk, and tcl scripts,
do the analogous thing -- invoke the interpreter explicitly.