Date:      Tue, 19 Oct 1999 09:40:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Jasper O'Malley" <jooji@nickelkid.com>
To:        Langa Kentane <evablunted@earthling.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Error 550: Relaying denied.

On Tue, 19 Oct 1999, Langa Kentane wrote:

> Hi
> I have a small problem with sendmail.  I recently installed majordomo on
> a machine x.sunnet.co.za and added a line in my db.sunnet.co.za :
> x.sunnet.co.za     IN    MX     x.sunnet.co.za

This is probably an oversight, but you do have periods on the ends of
those hostnames in the actual BIND zone files, right? You really don't
need a MX record for a host, though, unless you're redirecting mail sent
to the host to another host for processing.

> Now when I try to send mail to majordomo@x.sunnet.co.za my mail FreeBSd
> mail server tells me that relaying is denied.

Where are you sending the mail from?

The 550 Relaying Denied error message occurs when a sendmail
daemon receives a request to send mail TO a host it is not configured to
relay TO, FROM a host it is not configured to relay FROM. In other words:

1) The recipient must be a local user (on the machine on which the
   sendmail process is running), or must be a user on a host (or in a
   domain) specified in the /etc/mail/relay-domains file, OR

2) The sender must be a local user (on the machine on which the sendmail
   process is running), or must be a user on a host (or in a domain)
   specified in the /etc/mail/relay-domains file.

This changes a bit if you use the AccessDB feature, but most people don't.

Cheers,
Mick