Date:      Sun, 13 Dec 1998 10:00:17 -0800
From:      Donald Acton <acton@opentext.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   fdisk, df, awk, core dump in 3.0

I have an old 33Mhz 486SX (i.e. no floating point unit) machine that I
decided to install FreeBSD 3.0 on. Unfortuantely, I am having trouble
getting it to work and thought I'd check out this group to see if
anyone else has encountered the problem and solved it before I delve
into the situation too much further.

I performed a minimal install of 3.0 on this machine and the setup
sort of runs, but the programs fdisk, df, and awk (and perhaps others)
all exit with a core dump. As a result, booting requires manual
intervention and I have to skip the disk checks and some of the
initilization scripts don't run. This problems occurs both with a
custom kernel, built on another machine, to only use the 486
instruction set and with the generic kernel shipped as part of
FreeBSD. I have taken the disk that the 3.0 system is installed on and
connected it to a Pentium based machine and it boots and runs fine
without any core dumps. I have also done a minmal install of 2.2.7 and
it runs without problems. Any suggestions or tips?

Donald Acton
acton@opentext.com