Date:      04 Nov 2002 14:08:21 +1100
From:      Carl Makin <carl@xena.IPAustralia.gov.au>
To:        Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, ADSM List <ADSM-L@VM.MARIST.EDU>
Subject:   Re: Tivoli TSM client on FreeBSD??

Hi Paul,

On Sun, 2002-11-03 at 14:25, Paul Mather wrote:

> Tivoli provide no FreeBSD TSM client.  (Boo, hiss!)

Contact your local Tivoli salesdroid and request one.  They can fire the
request back into IBM.  If we get enough requests, they might actually
think about doing one.

> They do provide a
> Linux client (up to V5.1), and a Unixware client (up to V4.1).  I
> tried the Linux client (using the linux_base port), with limited
> success.  I was able to run dsmc (the command line client), and could
> communicate with the TSM server, but when I tried an ARCHIVE command,
> it just hung there doing nothing.

I've had very limited success with the linux client and basically gave
up on it.

We're using the ancient SCO v2 client running under iBCS2 emulation
which I have packaged up to make it easy to install.  I'll email it to
you in a separate email.  The GUI doesn't work properly and it can't
handle files over 2Gb in size, but otherwise the command line client
works fine.  Since there is no /compat/iBCS2 structure the emulation
doesn't hide the FreeBSD filesystems which is a major pain with the
Linux client.

About the brightest prospect I can see in the immediate future is
finding an implementation of NDMP for FreeBSD and using NDMP support in
TSM.  Unfortunately that support is currently only at NDMP v2 which
means whole volume backups and restores.  File level backups and
restores require NDMP v3 compatibility which is due in TSM middle of
next year (apparently).

On that topic there was a little traffic in freebsd-scsi in January 2001
regarding NDMP on FreeBSD.  Has anyone got this working?

Carl.