Date:      Fri, 23 Jul 2004 15:31:03 +0200
From:      Nagilum <freebsd@nagilum.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, Alex Dupre <ale@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   php4-pear broken

Hi,

The php4 port has been torn apart for bigger flexibility and
maintainability, but
now things seem somewhat messed up to me:

root@cakebox /usr/ports/devel/php4-pear > make install
===>  Installing for php4-pear-4.3.8_1
===>   php4-pear-4.3.8_1 depends on executable: pear - not found
===>    Verifying install for pear in /usr/ports/devel/php4-pear
===>  Installing for php4-pear-4.3.8_1
===>   php4-pear-4.3.8_1 depends on executable: pear - not found

Now the recursion runs until make has enough,

root@cakebox /usr/ports/devel/php4-pear > make install -DNO_DEPENDS
===>  Installing for php4-pear-4.3.8_1
===>   Generating temporary packing list
Installing PEAR environment:      /usr/local/share/pear/

To use PEAR you have to add the correct include path into
your /usr/local/etc/php.ini configuration file, like:

include_path = ".:/usr/local/share/pear"

===>   Registering installation for php4-pear-4.3.8_1
Pipe call failed: Too many open files in system
Pipe call failed: Too many open files in system
/usr/local/lib/apache2/apr-config: Pipe call failed: Too many open files
in system
/usr/local/lib/apache2/apr-config: Pipe call failed: Too many open files
in system
/usr/local/lib/apache2/apu-config: Pipe call failed: Too many open files
in system
Pipe call failed: Too many open files in system
Pipe call failed: Too many open files in system
Pipe call failed: Too many open files in system
Pipe call failed: Too many open files in system
Pipe call failed: Too many open files in system
Pipe call failed: Too many open files in system

This is not due to a low kern.maxfiles value, I tried that (except if
installing this port requires >+4000 open files, which I doubt). It's
probably because of another recursion in this port. However it appears
to be installed after that.
But this recursion also occurs with other php related ports now!

===>  Installing for php4-bcmath-4.3.8_1
===>   php4-bcmath-4.3.8_1 depends on executable: pear - found
===>   php4-bcmath-4.3.8_1 depends on file:
/usr/local/include/php/main/php.h - found
===>   Generating temporary packing list
===>  Checking if math/php4-bcmath already installed
===>   Registering installation for php4-bcmath-4.3.8_1
Pipe call failed: Too many open files in system
Pipe call failed: Too many open files in system
/usr/local/lib/apache2/apr-config: Pipe call failed: Too many open files
in system
/usr/local/lib/apache2/apr-config: Pipe call failed: Too many open files
in system
/usr/local/lib/apache2/apu-config: Pipe call failed: Too many open files
in system
Pipe call failed: Too many open files in system
Pipe call failed: Too many open files in system
Pipe call failed: Too many open files in system
Pipe call failed: Too many open files in system
Pipe call failed: Too many open files in system
Pipe call failed: Too many open files in system

root@cakebox /usr/ports/devel/php4-pear > uname -a
FreeBSD cakebox.tis 5.2.1-RELEASE-p9 FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE-p9 #0: Thu
Jul  1 19:31:29 CEST 2004
root@cakebox.tis:/export/src/sys.altq/i386/compile/cakebox  i386

I'm currently trying to resurrect my imp installation, so I need a lot
of extensions and therefore see a lot of those error messages above.

I always found the php port exemplary work and understand the
motivations for the split. I hope this is just a minor glitch that will
be fixed quickly.

Kind regards,
Alex.