Date:      Tue, 09 Jul 1996 19:16:27 -0700
From:      Scanner <scanner@apricot.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multi-processors

"Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG> writes:
>Probably wise. I'd love to see a MUD that could eat a P166! I know
>that LambdaMOO too a SPARC down to it's knees, but that was a memory
>problem (it's a memory hog) as far as I remember. That, and SPARC's
>(or the ones that were used to run LambdaMOO on) aren't all that fast
>by modern standards :-)

However, the original LambdaMOO at Xerox PARC does run on a multiprocessor
machine and gains from it.  I believe the gains, though, are because
the LambdaMOO server, although single-threaded, does a fork() to check
point the current state of the server.

The other two processors on this machine are of no real benefit for
the LambdaMOO itself, but help when an admin wants to poke around
on the machine.

--Scanner	(scanner@apricot.com)