Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 1996 11:12:31 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee (Narvi)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: IP bugs in FreeBSD 2.1.5

> > This would be, IMHO, an excellent path to follow.  2.1.5 (to become 2.1.6)
> > is very obviously a highly polished product, and for many of us would
> > continue to be the "OS of choice" for quite some time, for those demanding,
> > high availability applications..
>
> There are some problems. One of these are ports. Some of ports (SSLeay
> for example) do not compile under -stable as they require DES code
> present only in -current, all new ports are for -current only and some of
> them won't work on -stable as they depend on say TCL being present in the
> system. -stable is not only dead it is even buried. And a new release on
> -stable will be for only very specific uses and most people perhaps even
> wouldn't want it. They just may require all those user programs that are
> only for 2.2.x.

As much as I like the port paradigm, I think it is mildly broken, and I am
sure that others would agree:

It is very annoying to try to compile ports more than three minutes after
they were created.  You will invariably run across a number of them which
have changed, some with version number bumps, etc.

This is not a FreeBSD problem.  However, there are days when I really wish
that "distfiles" were somehow managed differently, so that this kind of
thing did not happen.

> > That's why the 2.2R thing seems like such a good idea.  If a new "-stable"
> > is created at 2.2R, and "-current" goes its merry way on to 3.0R, that
> > gives people like me a good solid point at which to start, and a path to
> > follow for the next year or two while 2.2.XR becomes as stable as 2.1.5R.
>
> 3.0R? wouldn't it be a too high increment in the version number? In that
> way we will soon be at FreeBSD 4.3 (and 4.4) release. How about 2.4? It
> would allow enough of growing place for 2.2 to evolve into ultrastable
> 2.3 (if it stays around for that long). As we seem to be using numbers of
> the x.y.z kind we should think too much about x. Or are we going to
> undergo some *MAJOR* change?

I do not care too much about version numbering.  Given the manner in which
versions have been numbered, I do not see a need for x.y.z release
numbering, and would settle for x.y... but it is really all pretty
arbitrary, in my opinion.

I do not care if the core team decides that -current after such a fork would
be headed towards 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 3.0, or 10.0..  :-)

... JG