Date:      Wed, 12 Jun 1996 13:31:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Brian J. McGovern" <mcgovern@spoon.beta.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fast SCSI controller

On Tue, 11 Jun 1996, Brian J. McGovern wrote:

> I'm looking at building a file server for a group of Sun workstations at
> work. I expect to have several SCSI drives on the machine, and thought it'd
> be benificial to run them on seperate SCSI buses (ie - 3 drives on on
> controller, 2 on the other, etc). I was wondering if anyone has seriously run
> multi-controller installations, and what cards (PCI or ISA - dunno if it'll
> be a pentium (most likely) or a 486/???). Any comments would be welcome

No problem with multicontroller, AFAIK.  There are many news servers out
there that use this setup.  The preferred unit appears to be the Adaptec
2940, although other models (3940?) are just as good.  The NCR 53c8xx
series has good performace for a low price.  You just have to find them.
:-)

Someone else with practical experience may be able to elaborate.