Date:      Sat, 14 Aug 2010 13:17:44 +0200
From:      Pieter de Goeje <pieter@degoeje.nl>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, TJ Varghese <tj@tjvarghese.com>, Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
Subject:   Re: Inconsistent IO performance

On Saturday 14 August 2010 05:57:51 Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 11:33:57 +0800
> > From: TJ Varghese <tj@tjvarghese.com>
> >
> > > The deviation in your disk I/O isn't a major surprise (to me anyway),
> > > given the system specs.  What *does* surprise me is your abysmal I/O
> > > speeds in general.  18MB/sec min, 24MB/sec max?!  ICH6-M can do a lot
> > > more than that.  Something isn't right.
> >
> > it's possible that the hw is...suboptimal. From a 2005 post,
> >
> > http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13036&start=0
> >
> > Check out the link to the hddbenchmark,
> > http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/6430/hddbenchmark1no.jpg
>
> Thanks, TJ! I guess the disk IO on these boxes simply sucks. Looks like
> the 34.75MB/sec sequential read speed is all I can hope for. I'm
> guessing the SATA-PATA converter is to blame. Oh, well.
>
> But all of this does not address my real question, why is performance so
> inconsistent? I agree that it sucks, but that does not explain why it
> suck so much worse on one run than another. I'm still baffled.
>
> My backup disk normally odes not leave my office storage cabinet except
> when it is in the computer being written, so I don't have it handy
> ATM. I will try a couple of things on Monday, though.

Perhaps the measurements are taken while the laptop is on a different
(less/more stable) surface each time? Disk vibrations could account for the
differences.

Check out this cool video from Sun:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13556_3-10138666-61.html

No idea how this affects sequential read and write workloads however.

--
Pieter de Goeje