Date:      Sun, 25 Apr 1999 11:38:19 +0200
From:      Stefan Esser <se@mi.uni-koeln.de>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>, Rich Payne <rdp@talisman.alphalinux.org>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Alpha List <alpha@freebsd.org>, "Daniel J. Frasnelli" <dfrasnel@csee.wvu.edu>, Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: your mail

On 1999-04-24 23:16 -0600, Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org> wrote:
> Good luck getting information out of DeskStation.  They tend to swing
> from being almost a little helpful to being completely unhelpful and
> unresponsive.  They provided me with almost no help in the way of
> specs and the like for the rPC44 port of OpenBSD/Linux I did.
> However, the support they did give me was enough to get things up and
> crawling.  I'll give you the entire sum of the support:
> 	The ISA bus is memory mapped at 0xa0000000.  The ISA ports
> 	are memory mapped at 0xb0000000.  It is basically a PC MOBO
> 	with a mips processor bolted on.

Well, we are not asking for information at the hardware level.
Just for the correct sequence of initialization calls to their
version of ARCSBIOS. But I'm afraid you are right and we won't
get any information from them. (Well, I tried anyway.)

> I had no better luck calling them directly.  However, they say on
> their website they support Linux, and are looking for a Linux OS
> engineer (but they have been looking for at least the past year, so
> maybe their website is on auto-pilot).

At least there appears to be no active development going on at
their site. The current BIOS revision (1.3.061.0) does not work
with disk driver > 8Gb (it ignores any space beyond that), for
example. The dates of the BIOS images they make available indicate,
that development stopped one year ago.

> Ironically, I did get mail from them asking me for help installing
> OpenBSD/arc on their systems!  After giving them the help, I never
> heard back from them.  I don't think the person who I was working with
> is there anymore.

Hmmm, but that person might be able to give a hint at whom to ask
for information regarding the ARCSBIOS changes relative to DEC's.

Regards, STefan