Date:      Sun, 20 Jan 2002 10:39:53 +-200
From:      Pekka Samuli Laine <pekkasamuli@koti.soon.fi>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Installation freezes -- please help

If I try to run ide_conf.exe from the FreeBSD 4.4 CD-ROM,
I get a following error:
Non-compatible or missing Hard Disk Controller!

Also when I try to install FreeBSD 4.4 (from CD-ROM) the first
device probing goes allright but everything freezes after this line:
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/md0c

At this point a small sound comes from the hard disk as though
it tried to read something from there.

My motherboard specs are here:
http://www.ecsusa.com/ecsusa/www.ecs.com.tw/products/p6bapap.htm

I have one large IDE hard-disk which has 7560 Mbytes of space.
It uses LBA mode in BIOS. Drive C is primary DOS (1890 Mbytes)
which has Windows95 installed in it. Drive D is extended DOS
(1875 Mbytes) which is reserved for Windows95 programs. The
rest of the disk is unused and I had hoped that I could
install FreeBSD on that space.

Could this mean that I have incompatible hard disk controller?
How do I know which hard disk controller I have?

Is there anything I can do?

PSL

BTW: I once had WindowsNT installed on the same disk with
Windows95 but then I removed NT completely. I still have
the NT OS loader, though. Could the NT OS loader mess with
the FreeBSD installer?