Date:      Sun, 9 Jun 1996 21:30:02 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        sahmad@interlog.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Soundcard functionality

> Please assist me in understanding how to correctly setup my soundcard on my
> Pentium 90 with FreeBSD 4.3 - I've followed in instructions in the
> handbook.ascii and the bootup procedure seems to confirm that my soundcard
> is found.  However, I cannot hear anything from it when I'm at the Unix
> prompt or in X-windows.  Please tell me a good way to test my sound card
> functionality in FreeBSD.
> The card is an ATI Stereo F/X card - SoundBlaster compatible. It's using
> address 220h and  Irq 7.

If you've installed the nas port, something like (as root):-

# au &					# Start the server
# auinfo -audio tcp/localhost:8000	# Show server info

will let you see if it's working. Then you can use programs like
audemo to play sound files.

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland | http://www.freebsd.org/~jraynard/
james@jraynard.demon.co.uk         | jraynard@freebsd.org