Date:      Mon, 2 Sep 2002 16:46:24 -0400
From:      Jim Brown <jpb@sixshooter.v6.thrupoint.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bridging Tunnel

* Dan Mahoney, System Admin <danm@prime.gushi.org> [2002-09-02 15:14]:
> Hi, here's the situation.  We have two points of presence and we're
> migrating all our machines from one to the other.  We're looking to
> establish a tunnel between these two locations such that ARP is either
> transparent or easily configrable.  Additionally, we'd like to be able to
> set routes so that any outbound traffic for these machines just goes
> straight out to the net, instead of back through the tunnel (I cant find a
> way to announce our routes to both places at once), and don't think it's
> possible.
>
> Anyone have any idea how to go about that?
>
> -Dan Mahoney
>
> --

Not exactly sure what you want.  Seems that you want to take packets
in from the remote end via a tunnel, but send packets to the remote end
via a different route.  (Asynchronous routing is generally a Bad Thing(TM)).

Some suggestions:

gif(4) devices can tunnel IP[46] into IP[46].  May be useful for your tunnel.

stunnel, www.stunnel.org  (haven't used it)

Search the ports collection for tunnel, or VPN.  Might get something
useful for you.

With the gif interface, you can set it up to be a gateway to a different
subnet.  ARP may still be a problem.  You might be able to set up
a static arp table on both ends.  See arp(8).

HTH,
jpb
===