Date:      Thu, 23 Jan 1997 15:05:40 +0900
From:      Kenji Owaki <owaki-kenji@pa.aix.or.jp>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installer cannot find CD-ROMs - 2.1.6

>> I have two PCs each has one CD-ROM, Mitsumi FX001 and a ATAPI.
>> When I booted with boot floppy generated with MAKEFLP.BAT,
>> The FreeBSD cannnot find these CD-ROMs. it says no CD-ROM drive
>> on the system.  It is true when I booted with INSTALL.BAT.
>
>Do they show up during the boot sequence?  Try hitting 'scroll-lock' and
>using the up arrow key to see the boot messages.  I seem to remember the
>FX001's not quite coforming to ATAPI spec so FreeBSD doesn't find them.

For Mitsumi CD-ROM FX001 on my first PC, it is true its interface is
proprietary and not conforming ATAPI, but HARDWARE.TXT says FreeBSD
kernel supports it. Are you saying installer kernel is not the case ?

In the boot sequence, it seems that mcd0 was probed and successfully
found with proper I/O and IRQ configured with UserConfig.  However,
still installation menu says that no CD-ROM found on the system.

>You might also try moving them to the slave position on the primary
>controller if they aren't there already; otherwise, alone on the secondary
>controller.

For ATAPI CD-ROM on my second PC, it is placed on secondary controller
that is SoundBlaster16 IDE port, and set to master mode. However,
it is not appear in the boot sequence in installer kernel.

Anyway, after rebuilding its own kernels, both CD-ROMs appear
and I can use it even with /stand/sysinstall.  It is fine, but
next time I install, it is bothersome to get kits copied again
to MS-DOS partition. So I want to build my own installation
floppy with my newly built kernel.  Is ther any document to
make my own installation floppy with my own kernel ?

--
Kenji Owaki  owaki-kenji@pa.aix.or.jp