Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 2000 11:42:44 -0800
From:      Mike Ruhl <mruhl@network-alchemy.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   wd vs ad

--------------4A69C40DA4B0117B5A7DB46F

Howdy,

I recently upgraded to 4.0 and made the change from the /dev/wd*
devices to /dev/ad* devices.  And I had a few questions about this...
:)

1) Can I safely delete the wd devices?

I did a clean install of 4.0 and those devices where part of the
install.  Are they still necessary?  Are they hanging around for
backwards compatibility?

2) It appears that the ad devices are character devices instead of
block devices.  Further investigation reveals that all the wd devices
are character devices as well.  I have obviously missed something
somewhere.  When did the disk devices become character devices?  Why
the change?  Has the driver model changed so that character/block
devices are no longer "relevant"?

A casual search of the archives hasn't revealed anything. :(  Can
someone point me to a location of where this was discussed?

Thanks!

Mike
--------------4A69C40DA4B0117B5A7DB46F

begin:vcard
n:Ruhl;Michael J
tel;work:(831) 440-6472
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Nokia
adr:;;1538 Pacific Avenue;Santa Cruz;CA.;95060;U.S.A.
version:2.1
email;internet:mruhl@cips.nokia.com
title:Tall Blond Guy
x-mozilla-cpt:;0