Date:      Sun, 3 Nov 2002 11:50:09 -0600
From:      Jason Godfrey <godfrey@sol.aptsolutions.com>
To:        Jeff Jirsa <jeff@unixconsults.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disk activity leading to hangs

(CC'ing to freebsd-hackers, since a previous discussion took place there.)

Thanks. I tried pinging the machine after a hang, but no response.

After a bit of experimentation it seems that the hang (at least on the AMD)
occurs under write activity. (A yes > /tmp/foo hangs it.) It seems to hold up
under read loads.

I'm hoping someone on the lists has either a workaround/fix or could maybe say
"I've hit this, but when I switched to a non-maxtor drive things worked."

- Jason