Date:      Sat, 17 Jan 2015 11:41:47 -0800
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        Nikos Vassiliadis <nvass@gmx.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Switching from custom kernel back to generic

> On 17 January 2015, at 07:55, Nikos Vassiliadis <nvass@gmx.com> wrote:
>=20
> On 01/15/15 10:10, Doug Hardie wrote:
>> Is there some magic that is needed to switch from a custom kernel to =
generic?  Why would the kernel not find the modules when ls can?
>=20
> Did you reboot the system? Is the running kernel in-sync with the
> modules in your /boot/kernel/ directory?
>=20
> If the running kernel is not in-sync with the modules, modules cannot
> be loaded.
>=20

It should be in sync.  I rebooted twice after the freebsd-update =
install.  Neither time it could load modules.  However, that is the only =
explanation I have heard as to what might be causing the problem.  I =
didn=E2=80=99t see any error messages from freebsd-install, but its =
possible I missed one.  I don=E2=80=99t see though why open would report =
file not found.  Is it hiding something from ktrace as to where it is =
really looking?