Date:      Wed, 1 Jan 2014 20:12:32 -0600
From:      Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>
To:        Ben Paley <ben@benpaley.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: VirtualBox and Xorg

IOn Wed, Jan 1, 2014 at 7:13 PM, Ben Paley <ben@benpaley.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I=92ve installed 9.2-RELEASE in VirtualBox on a Macbook. It was, against =
my
> expectations, pretty much the easiest install I=92ve ever done, but I=92v=
e had
> trouble with Xorg.
>
> I followed the instructions at
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/virtualization-guest.html#virtualizat=
ion-guest-virtualbox-guest-additions- I=92ve installed emulators/virtualbox=
-ose-additions successfully (as far as
> I can tell, anyway; VB now lets me configure a shared directory, even
> though I don=92t seem to be able to mount it because FreeBSD doesn=92t su=
pport
> the file system). I=92ve added the vboxguest and vboxservice lines to
> rc.conf, and I=92ve created /usr/local/etc/hal/fdi/policy/90-vboxguest.fd=
> with permissions 644 owned by root:wheel.
>
> If I do startx with no configuration then I get a nice vanilla X but the
> cursor doesn=92t respond.
>
> If I do "Xorg -configure=94 then the Device section in xorg.conf.new is j=
ust
> like the one in the docs. The InputDevice is a little different:
>
> Section =93InputDevice=94
>         Identifier      =93Mouse0=94
>         Driver  =93vboxmouse=94
>         Option  =93Protocol=94 =93auto=94
>         Option  =93Device=94 =93/dev/sysmouse=94
>         Option  =93ZAxisMapping=94 =934 5 6 7=94
> EndSection
>
> =85but commenting out the extra lines doesn=92t seem to change anything: =
if I
> do =93X -config /root/xorg.conf.new=94 then the screen goes black and I=
=92m not
> sure what=92s happening. The cursor gets captured and released by Virtual=
Box
> just as it should, but while it=92s captured it becomes black or invisibl=
e or
> ceases to exist, or something. In any case I don=92t think it moves, beca=
use
> when I release it, it shows up in the same place even if I=92ve been wigg=
ling
> my finger around.
>
> I have a feeling that the vboxmouse and vboxvideo aren=92t present, or ar=
> improperly detected or something. Am I supposed to install them separatel=
y?
> Or is there anything else obvious? Or non-obvious?
>
> I=92m not sure whether or not the system is using HAL - hal-0.5.14_20 is
> installed, but I don=92t really know if I need the HAL policy file: but i=
> doesn=92t seem to make any difference if I move it.

It is generally easier to run a full desktop environment like kde rather
than just vanilla X, see the handbook.  Also install the xorg-minimal
package to insure you've got the needed depends installed.  The FreeBSD
VBox wiki works well for me.  If it doesn't for you, please isolate the
step where it fails and post the results.

--=20
Adam