Date:      Thu, 11 Dec 2014 18:38:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      doug@safeport.com
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: pkg no better than the old system

On Thu, 11 Dec 2014, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> On 11 December 2014 at 07:56,  <doug@safeport.com> wrote:
>> Color me disappointed. I did an upgrade for pidgin and WITHOUT WARNING xfce.
>> firefox and a number of libraries were uninstalled. Putting firefox back
>> begets
>>
>>    artemis:~> firefox
>>    XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /usr/local/lib/firefox/libxul.so:
>>    Shared object "libicui18n.so.53" not found, required by "libxul.so"
>>    Couldn't load XPCOM.
>>
>> Not asking for help just warning and bitching
>
> Hi!
>
> I suggest you file a bug (https://bugs.freebsd.org/submit/) about
> this. The ports team is pretty responsive about messups like this.

I appreciate the thought, but a PR on this particular instance is not going
anywhere because my system was 9.2 and pkg was 1.3.8 something or other. If
anyone connected with pkg happens to read this, the problem is I think, due to
two things. First with the immense number of interdependencies it seems (to me)
that trivial errors in the requirements/dependencies in a make file can have far
reaching consequences. E.g., updating pidgin should not require that perl be
updated, much less wandering up the tree to xfce and some of the Xorg drivers.
pkg is dependent on reasonable (if not correct) definitions within the ports.

So given that (assuming the above point is accepted), pkg should not wander too
far up the dependency tree, certainly not without warning. Easy to say, probably
much harder to implement. If the developers accept both my points, then the
later point is the 'bug' not what happened in this specific instance.

_____
Douglas Denault
http://www.safeport.com
doug@safeport.com