Date:      Sun, 24 Nov 96 19:46 MET
From:      shanee@rabbit.augusta.de (Andreas Kohout)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: why can't boot (using 2.1.5-RELEASE)

In article <Pine.BSD.3.91.961123165306.9998A-100000@swd.928.com.tw>,
	root@swd.928.com.tw (SWD in NSYSU Multimedia Lab.) writes:

> I had install my Freebsd by CDROM , and install it in a SCSI disk on
> AHA 2940 but I find it can't boot after install it sucessfually
> but I am sure I had install the boot manage... and if I use osbs to
> boot it, it is still can't boot ..
>
> What is the wrong ?????????????

is youre SCSI disk the only one or do you have also a IDE? If so, go to
your BIOS and remove it while running FreeBSD, or type at the startup

boot: sd(0,a)/kernel

check /usr/share/doc/handbook/handbook.[asci,htm]:

2.  Installing FreeBSD
[...]
  4.  With the installation disk in the A: drive, reboot your computer.
      You should get a boot prompt something like this:

           >> FreeBSD BOOT ...

           Usage: [[[0:][wd](0,a)]/kernel][-abcCdhrsv]

           Use 1:sd(0,a)kernel to boot sd0 if it is BIOS drive 1

           Use ? for file list or press Enter for defaults

           Boot:

      If you do not type anything, FreeBSD will automatically boot with its
      default configuration after a delay of about five seconds.  As FreeBSD
      boots, it probes your computer to determine what hardware is installed.
      The results of this probing is displayed on the screen.

--
Greeting, Andy
                                                    running FreeBSD-current