Date:      Tue, 14 Aug 2007 21:40:34 +0200
From:      Tore Lund <toreld@netscape.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading Xorg from 6 to 7

Andreas Davour wrote:
> I have just read the UPDATING file and realized that this is something
> that have so many possibilities of going horribly wrong that it most
> certanly will. Thus I want another option.
> [snip}

We have seen some "clever" ways of doing it.  For my own part, I studied
those carefully, but in the end I bit the bullet and went by the book
(UPDATING).  I found the upgrade fairly smooth and swift.

I ran portupgrade with the "-aP" option, and this step took 3 hours 40
mins on my modest AMD XP 2200.  There were some hiccups, but after some
reboots and adjusting, everything (well, almost everything) was back to
normal.
--
    Tore