Date:      13 Mar 2002 21:23:30 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: /etc/make.conf question

Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net> writes:

>     I cvsup at least twice.  If I get no changes the second time, I'm
> reasonably certain that what I have is not a mid-commit snapshot.

Thanks.  That sounds pretty good, except for the judgement involved in
guessing how long to wait between cvsups.  But it should save some
grief, especially with a slow build computer.  Can anyone guess the
minutes per day when the cvs is in a bad state so that a probablity of
this being needed could be guessed at?  (I'm planning to write a
build-SOP PR with this idea for the Handbook, with a note stating why
some might not want to bother with it.)

> Of course, I don't do this every night, or even every week--that
> might be a bit abusive to the mirror.

Maybe one of the many people who do this very frequently could
comment on how much data they download on average, compared to, say,
once per RELEASE.  I've seen no evidence as to whether it's abuse or
not.  (I been cvsup'ing only about every two months.)

> ...(I've heard rumblings about Perforce)...

My dictionary says "perforce" means "willy-nilly".