Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 1995 14:09:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Eric Chet <echet@coil.com>
To:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.05R reboot hangs

> > Hi!

> > Rodney>	Have you customized the kernel for the machine?  Or are you running
> > Rodney>	the GENERIC kernel.  I have had 2 sites report ASUS-PCI/I-486SP3G boot
> > Rodney>	hangs when using the GENERIC kernel
> >
> > Rodney>	Have you triple checked your SCSI bus termination, and when the hang
> > Rodney>	happens does your SCSI drive LED tend to be on solid indicating a
> > Rodney>	scsi bus hang?
> >
> > I also have an 486-DX4-100 PCI ASUS SP3G, and with 2.0.5, reboot from
> > GENERIC kernel hangs on about every 2nd try. This was never a problem
> > with the 950412-SNAP, which I have rebootet remotely about 100 times
> > without need to run to the machine's console. I have build a
> > custom kernel only yesterday, I dont know yet if that behaves better.
> > I have cache-write-back and ISA-GAT-enabled, and my SCSI-bus is
> > triple-terminated (dont ask why ;-) but is quiescent when reboot
> > hangs, However, as I said, this was no problem with the SNAP
> > installation.
>
> Set your cache to write through mode or expect to get signall 11's at
> random.  The board (all version) has a cache write back coherency problem
> when used with bus master PCI devices (the NCR SCSI controller is a
> PCI bus master).
>
> Turn off ISA GAT mode, though you may not need to if you don't have any
> ISA bus masters.
>
> Properly terminate your SCSI bus.  There is *NEVER* a reason to have 3
> terminators on a scsi bus, plain and simple you are asking for trouble
> if you do that.
>
> Please tell exactly what the last thing on the screen is after you
> type reboot when the hang occurs (just the last line is all I need).
>
> Compile a kernel with:
> # BROKEN_KEYBOARD_RESET disables the use of the keyboard controller to
> # reset the CPU for reboot.  This is needed on some systems with broken
> # keyboard controllers.
> options        "BROKEN_KEYBOARD_RESET"
>
> in the config file.
>
> Does doing that fix the problem?
>
> What revision of the board do you have (printed on the board next to
> the model number)?  I am starting to collect data on the versions of
> the boards effected by this problem and if the BROKEN_KEYBOARD_RESET
> fixes the problem.

Hello Rod
	I recompiled the kernel with BROKEN_KEYBOARD_RESET.  I don't
see any problems yet, I just rebooted my machine 10 times.

ASUS-SP3G rev 1.8
Intel DX2/66
256K cache without a dirty tag sram
Using NCR with 2 quantum prodrives
NCR BIOS 3.07.00
FreeBSD 2.0.5R

BIOS setup
----------
DRAM Write page mode		: Enabled
DRAM Code Read Page Mode	: Enabled
DRAM Refresh Mode		: Normal  (Hidden dies every time)
DRAM Wait States		: 0 WS

CPU To DRAM write buffer	: Enabled
CPU To PCI write buffer		: Enabled
PCI To DRAM write buffer	: Enabled
PCI Memory burst write		: Enabled

Video BIOS Cacheable		: Enabled
External Cache WS		: 0 WS
Cache Update Policy		: Write-Back
PCI Posted write buffer		: Enabled
ISA GAT Mode			: Disabled

I do have a question for others with this MB.  Has anybody upgraded
to 512K cache?  If so, what size DIRTY tag sram did you use.  USUS
ships these without a dirty tag sram, I figured if I upgrade to 512K
I might as well have the write-back cache working properly.

Eric - echet@coil.com