Date:      Tue, 12 Oct 1999 19:56:20 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Campbell <bc@thehub.com.au>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        cjclark@home.com
Subject:   Re: Identifying an Unresolvable IP

On Mon, 11 Oct 1999, Keith Stevenson wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 11, 1999 at 11:19:15AM -0400, Crist J. Clark wrote:
> >
> > What tools or references are easily accessible for determining who
> > owns a block of IPs? I have not been able figure out how to coax the
>
> whois -a <IP address>
> Check out the whois(1) man page.

See also, http://www.apnic.net/db/RIRs.html .

This lists which Regional Internet Registry is nominally authoritative for
which IP addresses.

If you are bored (and the IP address is in the APNIC ranges), try doing a
whois against whois.apnic.net for the appropriate in-addr.arpa .

--==--
Bruce.

BC666-AP