Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 2014 13:43:46 -0500
From:      Mark Felder <feld@freebsd.org>
To:        "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Allan Jude <allanjude@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Future of pf / firewall in FreeBSD ? - does it have one ?

> On Jul 23, 2014, at 15:59, Bjoern A. Zeeb <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.n=
et> wrote:
>=20
> There was (is?) another case that in certain situations with certain =
pf options IPv6/ULP packets would not pass or get corrupted.  I think no =
one who experienced it never tracked it down to the code but I am sure =
there are PRs for this;  best bet is that not all header sizes are equal =
and length/offsets into IPv6 packets are different to IPv4, especially =
when you scrub.
>=20

scrub reassemble tcp breaks all ipv6 tcp traffic since FreeBSD 9.0. =
Well, not entirely "breaks" but things seem to be going at a rate of a =
poor dialup connection. This is similar to what I've experienced with pf =
+ tso on Xen. Related? Possibly! I'd hazard a guess the reassembling of =
tcp on IPv6 is breaking checksums?

Upstream pf from OpenBSD has removed this feature entirely and (I =
believe) reworked their scrubbing, but I don't know the details. I can =
confirm that when reassemble tcp existed on OpenBSD it never broke =
traffic for me.

Synproxy and IPv6 was also broken last I knew. I can't remember the =
symptoms, but it was probably "nothing works". I recall synproxy has =
always been one of those "you're gonna shoot your eye out kid" features, =
but some people have used it successfully.