Date:      Sat, 15 Apr 2000 11:50:14 +0400
From:      Grigoriy Strokin <grg@philol.msu.ru>
To:        fingers <fingers@fingers.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problem with ata/ad0 in 4.0

On Fri, Apr 14, 2000 at 03:16:57PM +0200, fingers wrote:
> Hi
>
> I decided to fresh-install a machine that's currently running 3.4.
>
> I'm having the following problem though:
>
> I can boot, and it loads both disks with kern and mfsroot images (but
> doesn't pick up my hard drive (3 gig IDE Quantum fireball)). It loads
> sysinstall, and if I press ALT F2, I see:
>
> ad0 - READ command timeout
> ata0 - resetting devices - done
>
> The read timeout I take it is the kernel not being able to read my hard
> disk. There's only 1 drive in the machine, no cdrom or anything else
> installed.
>
> Why would it be that it's not seing it? The drive and controller are
> working perfectly, as it's got a working installation of bsd on it atm.
>
> I checked release notes and couldn't find any mention of problems with
> this drive. Are there known problems with the controllers under 4.0?
This is sort of well-known problem (to the members of the list :>),
which is not in any way documented, though.

Also, Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
" Perhaps you should drop back to 3.4 until the bug is fixed. These things
" aren't easy to spot and fix..

There is a work-around if you are installing FreeBSD 4.0 stable onto an
existing system: add
    /sbin/sysctl -w hw.atamodes=pio,pio,pio,pio
to the beginning (just after #!/bin/sh) of /etc/rc and also /root/.login (for
csh) and /root/profile (for sh).

I would think that it is somehow possible to do the trick
when booting from the installation disk, but don't know how.

--
=== Grigoriy Strokin, Lomonosov University (MGU), Moscow ===
=== contact info: http://isabase.philol.msu.ru/~grg/     ===