Date:      03 Mar 98 13:58:50 +0100
From:      leifn@image.dk (Leif Neland)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DNS (was: problem with netscape communicator)

At 03 Mar 98 12:27:11 Dieter Koegel wrote regarding Re: DNS (was: problem with
netscape communicator)

 DK> actually I'm receiving  mail and news at my home office with netscape
 DK> communicator 4.04 for FreeBSD. (2.2.5-RELEASE) AFAICS this weird
 DK> communicator tries to connect to my cache only nameserver
 DK> which connects me to my Ascend pipeline. This is really pain in the ass.
 DK> Any suggestions to work around this problem are welcome

In my boot.cacheonly (I don't think I'm cacheonly, but anyway) I have put
secondary image.dk 194.182.101.2 sc.image.dk

which makes my named grab the entire zonefile from my providers (image.dk)
nameserver 194.182.101.2 and save it in sc.image.dk.

I have also done the same for reverse lookup.

Then the remote nameserver is only used very seldom, depending on the settings
the isp has made regarding how long the files are valid.

Leif Neland
leifn@image.dk

---