Date:      Tue, 11 Feb 2003 17:32:25 -0800
From:      Maksim Yevmenkin <Maksim.Yevmenkin@cw.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   WITNESS questions

Dear Hackers,

Does WITNESS keeps track of particular mutex instance or
just places where particular mutex type was acquired and
released? Is it even possible to keep track of individual
instance of the particular mutex type?

Here is my problem. In my code (Bluetooth sockets layers)
each socket/PCB has a mutex. The mutex type is the same.
Also there are few global mutexes that used to protect
sockets/PCBs list etc.

Now when i do testing and both client and server reside
on the same machine, i, sometimes, get "lock order reversal"
messages. All messages can be put into two groups:
:
1) Both mutexes are particular instances of the two different
   types.

2) One mutex is global and another is particular instance
   of the particular type.

These messages are bugging me and i want to get to the
bottom of this. How i can verify/convince myself that
these messages are not problems? How should i deal with
multiple mutex instances? Will WITNESS be able to help
me here?

thanks,
max