Date:      Thu, 5 Dec 1996 12:10:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Jay Sachs <sachs@interactive.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: User PPP FAQ

Forwarded to doc@freebsd.org, the documentation discussion list

On 5 Dec 1996, Jay Sachs wrote:

> Enough people have said this is needed. I agree. I've had more than
> enough exchanges answering questions on iijppp configuration.
>
> I hereby volunteer to coordinate a (re)write of a FAQ for setting up
> user PPP (i.e. iijppp) under FreeBSD. If no one has any objections,
> that is.

Please do!

> (Hey, if Nick Clayton <nik@blueberry.co.uk>, who contributed the
> handbook entry, wants the job, he can have it. Just speak up).

It would be nice if we could concentrate on updating the Handbook instead
of making a separate doc, but I'm game for anything :)

> - Any special things you had to do to get iijppp running properly for you

Only modifying /etc/ppp/ppp.conf.sample to ppp.conf and making changes to
work with my provider.  I dial manually with an automatic login sequence.
(Be sure to mention the 'set debug' options, they help a lot when fixing
login scripts!)

> I'm looking for submissions not only from experience ppp-ers, but also
> those of you just starting to set up ppp

As soon as I get info I'll contribute a section to getting Metricom's
Ricochet wireless modem set up with ppp.

> I think the FAQ should provide info for two separate classes of uses:
> one, where ppp is the only tcpip interface used, and the other when
> ppp is used in conjunction with lan interfaces. My feeling is that
> there a different/additional issues that crop up when using ppp
> concurrently with e.g. an ethernet to e.g provide 'net access for a
> lan without official IP addresses.

Quite.  This is big question #2 and was the subject of a quest of mine a
while ago.  I might eek out enough time over winter break to get a
configuration like this working.  I know the tools needed now (ie,
IPFilter &/or NAT) and think I could pull it off.

> [My point here is that the FAQ should have a separate section for
> these issues, not that it shouldn't cover them]

Works.

Keep us posted on progress.